Saturday, August 4, 2012

the other jungle experience

So Pame and I were out of the deep jungle but we had paid for one more day of tours. So with our new tour guide Francisco, we visited the sites in and around Iquitos, centering mostly on animals in captivity (how else am I supposed to see those pink dolphins?) We started off by returning to Nauta and boarded a motorboat set for another town, one that had a caimen pen.

There are perfectly good stairs here but we scrambled up the mound instead and I have no idea why. I am obviously out of my mind when I travel as things are always done the most difficult way possible. But I digress, back to the tour..

Judging by the colors of their feathers, parrots and I are obviously kindred style spirits. The owner of this property welcomed us in and led us around to his very large backyard, which had several swimming-pool sized ponds.

Francisco lured the caimen out with a bucket of bait, and they came snapping!

I have seen this face before... I feel like my dogs have looked at me sideways before and grinned just as this little guy is doing. What mischief has he gotten into now?


In another pond, Francisco fed the Amazon's exclusive paiche fish, a very large species of river monster that run at least as long as I am tall. If you think your backyard is fancy with that koi pond, think again.

Back at the dock of this small town, Francisco stepped inside a store to get some snacks. This howler monkey crawled out and enchanted Pame and I. His name is Ramón, and he really howls (as evidenced here.) I howled back (call this an entirely different kind of jungle fever) and I guess we had a "conversation."

That conversation held some meaning to Ramón because he climbed on everyone and ended up on me. Then he marked me as his territory.

How many people can say they've been urinated on by a monkey? There's probably Jane Goodall, Diane Fossey, and now me. Hurray!

All that happened within the first hour of our day tour. After the nice people showed me to a sink where I could wash my shirt, we bade Ramón farewell and returned to the boat. We continued upriver and spotted houses that chose to stand independent of a township.


We docked by a mudcliff and headed up to meet the Bora Bora tribe, which is located much closer to Iquitos then the Yahua.

No comments:

Post a Comment