Sunday, August 12, 2012

a wrench in the plans

My tour group has changed the initial lodging twice. And this time, I'm not impressed.

Miss Maroney is not impressed with the change in accommodations.
In June, the "joining point" in Bogotá was changed from Casa Platypus to Hostel Masaya. Not a big deal, since both offer similar room styles catering to a younger crowd with nice common areas and internet access. More importantly, both are located in La Candelaria, the district with most everything you want to see in Bogotá. Say you want to hit up the main Cathedral, the Gold Museum, and Montserrate in one day? All are located in La Candelaria, and that's why to me, Casa Platypus and Hostel Masaya are both perfectly acceptable.

Now last Friday - just a week before the tour starts - I received an email from the tour group informing me that the joining point had changed again. Oh sure, Casa Paulina doesn't look as appealing. That's okay because the reviews say that they have great staff and an internet lounge. I'm not going to research more bus lines so I'll take a taxi to the hostel but that's not a problem. The problem is that Casa Paulina is in El Chapinero, which doesn't seem to be a neighborhood that is particularly threatening but is a good 5 kilometers from La Candelaria. El Chapinero borders the financial district of Bogotá... hurray? Reviewers argue that it's not difficult to take the bus from El Chapinero to La Candelaria but you know what? If I get less than 24 hours in a city, I'd like to be staying somewhere where I can step outside and immediately sample the flavors of the place.

Since this is something out of my control, I have been trying to look on the bright side of things. Casa Paulina isn't far from Avenida Chile, which is supposed to have a lot of street food vendors. Sounds like my first dinner is already picked out.

I've been researching Bogotá a lot because I want to make the most of the 16 or so hours I have there. But I looked into our "finishing point" in Cartagena and to my knowledge, we are still going to the same lodging which is BEAUTIFUL and is located within the original wall of old Cartagena de las Indias.

Anyways, if I don't see everything I want to in Bogotá, that's just one more excuse to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment