Thursday, March 29, 2012

if only I were her...

because if you're Christiane Amanpour, you can go anywhere. Or maybe I just need a really good excuse - like covering the papal visit to Cuba. Speaking in a rockin' accent couldn't hurt, either.

the popemobile, as seen in Mexico
photo courtesy of the Associated Press
Last night's Nightline featured the renowned journalist talking to everyday people in Cuba about their very different way of life, one of a time capsule where political freedoms and technology as we know it has simply not materialized. In no way am I saying that Cubans lead an awful standard of living... living with universal healthcare in an island paradise ain't such a bad idea. But it's certainly not surprising that many people in Cuba don't have confidence in the state's ability to provide a meaningful and modern existence. However, Cuban totalitarianism has left its mark: you can see at 2:20, a student is wary of voicing her reservations regarding her future on camera.

And I must admit that I am torn... torn between the ideal that everyone should have enough political freedoms to not be afraid about talking about the government and my selfish notions that Cuba should remain in it's 1950s time capsule until I visit. In a few years. Luckily, my opinion does not influence international policy in any way and I welcome the future reunion of Cuba with the rest of the world as soon as possible.

Watch Christiane Amanpour's investigation here, and enjoy the video at 2:20.

No comments:

Post a Comment