Thursday, February 2, 2012

Madre de Dios

Before I left for Peru I was leaning towards going to the rainforest around Puerto Maldonado in the Madre de Dios region of Peru instead of Iquitos in the state of Loreto. I could've had a very different experience if I had chosen Puerto Maldonado...

The Mashco-Piro tribe is starting to shoot arrows

Experts in anthropology and policy hypothesize that the tribe has become aggressive in response to threats to their land. Reconciling respect for indigenous people with the ever-growing desires of the industrial and post-industrial world is never easy but Peru can't leave this situation alone anymore. Though I can't say that the USA has set a good example with the way we treat Native Americans, it's best if Peru doesn't leave this matter on the backburner anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment