Thursday, January 19, 2012

por fin

Yes, after five days of scrambling to remember what I do here, it's finally time to blog and reveal all the fantastic happenings from Peru.

The LAN flight to Jorge Chavez International Airport in Callao was very comfortable and only about 8.5 hours. On top of friendly smiles in the friendly skies, LAN has a really good entertainment system. Watched 30 Minutes or Less, enjoyed two hot meals, and read LAN's bilingual onboard magazine In as well as the Peruvian newspaper they were passing out. Perhaps the best part is that I got a window seat in the row right in front of the bathroom. No one kicked me on this flight!

Goodbye California!
Adventure began once I landed. My friend's dad (Papá) picked me up from the airport and we went straight to Lima's Parque de Aguas (the formal name is Parque de la Reserva Circuito Mágico del Agua.) I had missed this attraction the last time I was in Peru so it was tops on my list of things to do in Lima. It turned out that it was Papá's first time as well!

Since visitors are allowed to run through certain fountains, the Park can feel like a waterpark during the day. But it's better to visit at night, when the water is accompanied by lights of all colors and even music.

Fuente de la Fantasia
Fuente de la Fantasia was by far the most entertaining... Every night the park plays a light show on the fountain with music, showcasing a little seasonal ballet to Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite, traditional dancing styles from all over Peru, and of course, lasers. For reasons unknown to myself, my six year-old camera did not capture sound on most of the videos I took. But you can still see the marinera dancers in the mist:


We passed by other fountains...
Fuente de la Ilusión
... and walked through others!
Fuente Túnel de las Sorpresas
(Tunnel of Surprises Fountain)
perfect parabolas
put your hands up!
It turns out that one of the surprises was a young boy who kept splashing me while I was in the tunnel. So when you're walking through, watchout for bystanders who are suspiciously close to the tunnel.

The Maze of Dreams Fountain was also very popular...
Fuente Laberinto del Ensueño
trapped!
Most fountains were just for pondering:
Fuente de la Vida
Fuente de las Tradiciones
Fuente Mágica
Magic Fountain is also the tallest in the Park...
cue sound effects
Afterwards, we went to the restaurant across the street Papá treated me to a dinner of anticuchos, pancita, and something else (grilled cow hearts, stomach, and intestines... was it intestines?) Already a fan of anticuchos, I was delighted to learn that pancita is also surprisingly tender. The intestines... not so much.
anticuchos and Cristal... what more do you need?
As my first night back in Peru, the Parque de Aguas set the tone for the rest of the stay. It was off to the bus station (buses are the preferred way of getting from city to city in Peru) and off to a place I had not previously visited: Trujillo!

1 comment:

  1. fantastic publish, very informative. I'm wondering why the opposite experts of this sector do not understand this. You should continue your writing. I'm confident, you have a great readers' base already!
    C Cable Tieout Giant 15ft

    ReplyDelete