Tuesday, September 25, 2012

bigger than a monolith

Colombia is really a hidden jewel. Everyone in the United States is afraid of visiting so they never hear about the people in Medellín taking dance classes in the plazas or the friendly people and dogs. Or a gigantic rock sticking out of a flooded valley like the Lady of the Lake beckoning young Arthur to destiny.

I came, I saw, and I miraculously scaled Guatapé, Antioquía's famous monolith, during a daytrip out of Medellín. 740 steps doesn't sound like a lot, but the base sits at 2000 meters. Combined with my throbbing right foot, the altitude turned this quick jaunt into an exhausting trial. All bitterness dissipated when I reached the top and took in 360 degrees of the gorgeous green view, as you can see here:


No comments:

Post a Comment